When we partner with our clients, our priority is to sell their home as quickly as possible for top dollar. Along with that priority we take on layers of additional responsibilities. One responsibility we feel is critical, is offering advice on how to ensure your privacy and safety while your home is listed for sale. Everything from putting mail, medication and weapons in a secure and safe location, to taking down calendars and children’s names on their wall. There are a number of items to consider.
Here are some timeless tips from a segment Holly did with NBC.
Here is an overview of some of the tips:
- Be sure to use an electronic lockbox that is monitored by your Realtor.
- A mechanical lockbox offers no tracking.
- It’s important to know who has been in/out of your house and when.
On-Line Photos – Prior to taking your photos for your listing, there are some items you should remove from view. On-line photos give criminals a great opportunity to case homes, so don’t show them reasons to be attracted to your home. Remove the following:
- Expensive collectibles
- Significant Art pieces
- Musical Instruments
- Items of value that are easily picked-up
- Children’s names and information
- Remove anything with their name on it from the room. Remove prior to photos so that no one can view on-line.
- Remove photos of them prior to taking your photos – you don’t want online lookers to know your children’s ages, appearance, etc.
- Remove anything that shows where they go to school or their activities.
- Remove any medication.
- You want to prevent any temptation for theft.
- You don’t want people to know your personal medical issues.
- Be sure when you leave your home that your computer screen is turned off.
- Keep any mail or documents out of view.
- Remove calendars from your home – buyers don’t need to know when you’ll be out of town, closing on another home or moving.
- If you have a fax machine, be sure documents won’t be arriving during showings…perhaps turn it off when visitors will be in your home.
- Ensure all printed documents are removed from the printer.
- Remove all weapons or ensure they are properly locked.
- Remove all knives in the kitchen from view – knife blocks, knife magnets, etc.
- If you have one, be sure the volume is off.
- When Buyers are coming through your home, you don’t want them to hear any personal messages from Doctors, your Realtor, etc.
- If someone is driving by your home and stops to see if they can show your home, ask them to call your Realtor.
- You want to be sure they are a legitimate buyer and not someone looking to enter your home for an inappropriate reason.
Windows & Doors
- When you return home, be sure all your doors and windows were properly secured.
- If your home is unoccupied, have the home checked regularly to ensure the home is being properly secured.
For more information or to discuss how to best protect your privacy, call Holly at 480-266-8785 or email Holly@Henbest.com.